A Brief History of
Rocky Mount Baptist Church
In 1878, Reverend John Lee Taylor, a missionary in Floyd and Franklin counties, began preaching in a local schoolhouse. Just one year later, Reverend Taylor, along with a council consisting of Reverend Pleasant Brown, Reverend D.G. Taylor, Reverend T.C. Coggin, and Deacon J.D. Craft, met and organized a Missionary Baptist Church with twenty-three persons as charter members. The Blue Ridge Association received Rocky Mount Church into fellowship on August 19, 1879.
In the many years since, the congregation has grown, the building has changed, and the ministries and services have increased. But in over one hundred years one thing has remained the same – Rocky Mount Baptist Church is passionate about sharing the love of God and spreading the Gospel.